Landlords FAQs


Here is a selection of our most commonly asked questions.

If you still have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us and someone will get back to you within 48 hours

Why should I use a managing agent?

Choosing a fully managed service allows you to completely relax. It takes away the burden of ensuring legal requirements are adhered to. It creates professional distance between you and the tenancy, and means you can avoid having to deal with all the bad bits like rent arrears and deposit disputes.

Do I need to tell my mortgage lender if I wish to let my property?

Yes. You need permission from your mortgage lender before you can let your property or you may be in breach of your mortgage conditions.

What rent should I charge?

The simple answer is to let us value your property. We are experienced with lettings in this area and can give a precise figure on what is achievable. To give you a rough idea, you would be looking at around £850pcm for a one bedroom, £1000pcm for a two bedroom and around £1200pcm for a three bedroom property in the Peacehaven and Newhaven area.

Why do I need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

An EPC is a report detailing the energy efficiency of a property. It is a legal requirement for all residentially let properties to hold a valid EPC certificate (they are valid for 10 years). From 2018 they must also be rated an E or above. This is to ensure a tenant can sufficiently heat and run their home effectively.

What are my gas and electrical safety obligations?

A gas safety records is required for all properties with a gas appliance to ensure that all appliances, pipes and flues are in safe working order. The check needs to take place every 12 months by a Gas Safe Register engineer. An EICR (electrical installation condition report) is also now required before you can let out a property. This must be carried out by registered electrical engineer and must be carried out every 5 years.

Can I enter the property during the tenancy?

Absolutely. We will make regular inspections so it is not essential for you to visit. But if you did want to make a visit, as long as appropriate notice is given it is not a problem.

Should I let my property furnished or unfurnished?

Generally speaking the difference in rent between furnished and unfurnished properties is negligible. So, if you have the option, we would generally say go with unfurnished as it makes things like the inventory and liabilities less complicated.

Why do I need an inventory?

We strongly recommend that an inventory is carried out by an independent party before a tenancy commences to protect your property. It will detail the condition of the property when a tenant moves in and is vital to ensure there can be no deposit disputes at the end of tenancies.

What deposit do you ask a tenant for?

A deposit equal to a months rent is requested.

What happens to my tenant’s deposit?

We are registered with approve tenancy deposit scheme ‘mydeposits’. We then protect the deposit with them and hold the money in a separate client account. The deposit scheme is there to protect tenant’s money and help resolve any disputes at the end of a tenancy.

What happens if a tenant damages the property?

Either the tenant pays to fix the damage, or the cost for fixing the damage is removed from the tenants deposit. However, fair wear and tear should always be allowed for.

Will an agent keep my money safe?

We hold all client’s money in a separate clients account. Your rent will then be paid out to you, less any expenses, on an agreed date each month. We are members of ombudsman TPO and client money protection service CMP to ensure the highest standards are upheld.

How will I receive my money?

We will make a monthly BACS payment into your desired bank account on and agreed date each month to coincide with the tenancy date at your property.

Do I need smoke alarms in my property?

Yes. You need a working smoke alarm on each floor of the property, and a carbon monoxide detector near any gas appliance. However, it is the tenants responsibility to maintain the alarms during a tenancy.

Am I responsible for repairs?

The short answer is, yes. Landlords are legally obliged to maintain the structure of the building. In addition, a tenant has the right to heat and light. As you would likely know from having your own home, the most common types of repairs relate to plumbing or electrics and these must be kept up to standard too. However, it is also important that a tenant is looking after and respecting the property and in the case that we did not think it was fair wear and tear we would pursue the tenant to rectify any issues.

What happens if my tenant gets into arrears?

Unfortunately, a tenant’s circumstances can change and in the case that they began getting into arrears, a conversation with your tenant will begin immediately. Often this is the most crucial thing, as in most cases a tenant wants to pay but has just run into difficulties. We will assist tenants where we can when these situations arise and can point them in the direction of places like citizens advice, if we think the need for help is genuine.

All possible efforts would be made to redeem monies due from tenants and landlords will be kept up to date with developments.

However, sometimes it is clear the situation is not going get resolved and, in that case, with agreement from the landlord we will serve the relevant legal papers to begin possession proceedings.

What is TPO?

The Property Ombudsman (TPO) is an independent body to which landlords can refer any complaint should the agent fail to address it to their satisfaction.

What is Right to Rent?

The Right to rent scheme is there to make sure people renting property in the UK have a legal right to be here. It came into force in 2016 and we are now required to obtain acceptable proof of residency or risk serious fines.

What is Client Money Protection?

The Client Money Protection (CMP) Scheme provides compensation for landlord, tenants and other clients when agents misuse or misappropriate their rent, deposit or any other client funds. We are members.

Get in touch.

Please feel free to send us a message/enquiry using the form to the right and we will get back to you as soon as possible.